Friday 17 October 2008

it's about time...

It's kinda been 3 weeks since I last posted on here. That's the "try and do a post a week" thing kinda wrecked already, and i've only been here just over a month. Ace. But as i've been at home all week and whilst I can hear Tom Jones roaring away in the living room with Jools Holland...I thought i'd have a go at making my blog not look quite so crap.
I suppose the whole lack of posts does mean I have a hellaaa lot to talk about. Er...
So, college - we've been doing loads of pretty mad briefs recently, week long ones then ....longer ones, one's based around peoples personalities, one's based around colour, one's based around shapes and a shitload based around the RANDOMISER! the dreaded box of words. It's rad.
One of the first brief's we were set when we started the course was to collect 10 items of a certain colour - i'd been given green, and seeings as I missed the day in which everyone brought in their coloured items and mixed em up a bit - I decided to wack mine up in my garden and take a few photos. Not quite up to the mammoth colour wheel which all my coursemates made on monday, but still!

list (just incase you can't work out/can't be arsed to work out exactly what the 10 things are):
a washing line
washing line pegs
a balloon
a weird spiked circular dog toy?
a cellulose foam wipey thing
a straw
a feather
a foam letter
a strange christmas tree plastic tray thing.
a father christmas spoon



...anyone?!









Anyway, so yer, the brief we've all been working on this week is creating a typeface around someones personality - my person is Heather. After initally having absolutely no idea what to do with this brief, I finally settled into it after my crit, which really helped - everyone had a load of ideas and I soon realised I had it a lot easier than a lot of people so I decided to get stuck in. One of the words I used to describe Heather was sweet, which was a word everyone seemed to agree with when I asked them what they thought of her. So - as heather was SWEEEEEET! i decided to go along those lines a bit...about 5 bars of chocolate later, i got this. Which although isn't really workable as a typeface, i'm just chuffed I actually got to make it, as the temptation just to scoff all that chocolate was pretty bad. I realise the glyphs look pretty gash, but you try making them out of chocolate pieces, it's REALLY HARD. hah.


















I've also got some work from a couple of weeks ago which I hadn't yet uploaded...oops! so i'll wack it up here now whilst i've got the chance.
This brief was based around the wonderful randomer yet again! This time the word I picked out was Compress. We then had to produce a set of 10 a6 images which we felt conveyed the word "compress" in an interesting visual way, whilst using letter forms. I immediately knew I didn't just want a random set of letters to be included in my final outcome - I wanted those 10 final resolutions to actually spell out something to do with compress. However the only decent word I could find that had 10 letters in to do with compress...was diminish. And even that I had to add "to" to the beginning of it to make up the 10 letters, whay! Anyways...after deciding what words to use alongside my ideas I then I decided I wanted to go for a very literal "compress" idea...so after many googling sessions of the word compress I finally came up with these...ooooh yeaaaah, there's a party popper in there! mint.







































Reeeet-i'm off to do some more work, night! x

1 comment:

chloegaleabagd said...

THAT AMAZING!!! love it and wanna eat it!! love your use of the word 'gash' not heard that in a while!!! ha ha!! Really does seem FOREVER since I've seen you - miss you terribly and its been so long i can hardly picture what you look like! ;-) jokes. see you tomorrow - you better make it!!!!!!!!!!!!! xxxx